Enjoy our writing guides, manuals, tips and tutorials at no cost.
Top 20 Discursive Essay Topics For Students To Discover
Discursive essays are similar to argumentative pieces; with subtle differences. The former asks for more poise and balance; and is more cultivated. You need to abridge the crudity of your opinions with the general perception and find a middle path.
A good beginning
Needless to say, you need a good topic to start. You cannot just pick a topic wildly and plan to do it justice. You should firstly be well-versed with the topic and its connotations. Secondly, you should be able to analyze and weigh it across different parameters.
A look around
You should look at the areas around you; your home, neighborhood; school, daily occurrences in the city and regular trends. You should eke out those formulae that are steeped with pivotal points of conflict and look to assuage them.
No confusion please
You should also give more than a cursory glance to some smart discursive pieces you have available in the school archives and on relevant sites. There is a definite pattern to write these pieces and you cannot confuse it with a reflective or exploratory piece.
The quality checks
You should present the pros and cons of the topical theme and then calculate the heavier side. You should pass it through several quality checks to come to an assertion. Meanwhile, here are 20 discursive essay topics you can explore –
- Should content or graphics be the king in freelancing?
- Are video games detrimental to a child’s holistic development?
- Should kids be weaned off from taking cursory medicines when they are under 5?
- Should schools keep a uniform fee structure or a dichotomous one to suit both the poor and privileged?
- Should contact sports be banned in a bid to control aggression in the world?
- Should Golf be improvised and made a faster game than it is?
- Should steroids be allowed in a regulated way to athletes?
- Should star performers in debates and cultural programs get an upper hand during examination grading?
- Should we give more emphasis on personal improvement than societal improvement?
- Should joint families be encouraged over nuclear families?
- Are we justified in shearing lambs for our sweaters?
- Is it possible to create a matriarchal society?
- Should viewers have the right to judge how much sex and violence they wish to see?
- Should women have the right to abort, no matter how many weeks of pregnancy they are in?
- Should rape be punishable by 7 years or 20 years of imprisonment?
- Should Smartphone be allowed in colleges?
- Are we actually evolving towards a better world?
- Should petrol and diesel vehicles be banned with immediate effect?
- Should high school students be asked to conduct researches?
- Should live-in relations be given equal status as marriage?
Looking for good essay writing service? Hire Zessay - professional essay writing service for college students.
Essay writing tips
Our editorial department has carefully selected these writing, editing and proofreading websites and companies to help you with your studies.
Professional custom essay writing service - My Custom Essay - buy custom written essays online.
My Essay Writing - professional essay writing services.
Write my essay - good essay writing guide.
When you are asked to deliver a speech as part of your college assignment, you start looking for topics that are different from what all others have been using. You want to stand out among the students and appreciated by everybody.
From among the persuasive speech topics listed here, choose the one that you are most well-informed about or make sure you have the time needed to research and prepare a comprehensive speech that covers every aspect of the topic. This will help you talk to the point without rambling.Use illustrations, stories, examples, epigrams and other tools in your persuasive speech, to make it effective. Did I say, use humor where necessary?
List of 50 Persuasive Speech Topics For College Students
- Media leaks of the spying on domestic and International communications, including citizens, by intelligence agencies. (hot)
- Supporting the Local Food movement by buying and eating the local food.
- The ban on exploiting the Antarctic resources “restricting it to a “natural reserve" devoted to science and peace" should be maintained.
- Magazines marketed for teenagers send the wrong moral and ethical messages.
- Self-proclaimed “militia" should be closely monitored by the FBI.
- Tax incentives for international adoption.
- The government should cut off all foreign aid to dictatorships.
- Online education is just as good as classroom learning.
- Banning of in-virtro transplants.
- Tattooing of minors, whether accompanied by their legal guardian or with a written consent from the legal guardian.
- Abolish reliance on SAT and ACT scores in admissions.
- Cameras placed in federal courtrooms to televise all trials.
- A monthly stipend to cover expenses, for college scholarship athletes.
- Students should take foreign language courses (or any other type of specific course).
- The use of technological devices in Education.
- College beauty contests should not be encouraged.
- Unstaffed scientific missions are less expensive than staffed space flights.
- Students should not be pushed to compete at athletics.
- Pass a federal law to keep the trunk release systems on all new cars standard, to help children’s lives.
- It is important to have equal representation of genders and races in political office.
- Cell phone use and texting cause lower levels of concentration and focus.
- Text books should be replaced by I-Pads and online resources.
- College students should exercise caution when posting on social media sites.
- A border fence will not solve the immigration problem.
- Cyber attacks can prove harmful to countries.
- More recycling has to be encouraged.
- College network should have filters to prevent access of inappropriate materials.
- Social networks should be allowed in school.
- Should girls be allowed on the wrestling and football teams?
- Concentrate more on domestic terrorism than terrorism from other countries.
- Identity theft is a huge problem and should be paid attention to.
- The feminist movement devalued motherhood.
- Prohibit offshore drilling until oil companies do some disaster control.
- The reforming of the school system.
- The government should limit advertising aimed at children.
- Fast food restaurants should display calorie counts.
- The current tax system is unfair to the middle-class and lower-income groups.
- Churches should not be required to pay taxes.
- Chronic mental patients should be housed in “halfway houses" in the community, rather than suffer further in mental hospitals
- Billboards should be outlawed on interstate highways.
- Psychiatrists and psychologists should testify in court on behalf of the non-guilty-by-reason-of-insanity plea.
- A National Health Insurance Program should exist to guarantee basic medical care of all Americans, regardless of income.
- Hotels and motels should increase security to reduce the rising crimes against their guests.
- Child molesters should not be allowed to adopt children. Childcare authorities should carefully screen prospective parents.
- Stop selling weapons to other countries.
- The effects of marrying before completion of school.
- What should the role of the United Nations be?
- Use music and art to rehabilitate prisoners.
- Educated people should volunteer as literacy tutors.
- The construction of Olympic venues in the buffer areas of the UNESCO protected sites is harmful. (hot issue)
As you can see, many of the topics listed are new and address the current issues happening in the World today. Perform extensive research on the topic of your choice and create an impressive persuasive speech that people will remember for long.