also known as “Upinipin and Friends"
|Created by||Hj. Burhanuddin Radzi|
Hjh. Ainon Ariff
|Directed by||Mohd Nazmi Mohd Yatim & Mohd Faiz Hanafiah (season 5)|
Adam Amiruddin (season 6)
|Voices of||Asyiela Putri (season 4–present)|
Hjh. Ainon Ariff
Ida Shaheera Azhar
Ida Rahayu Yusoff
Mohd Shafiq Mohd Isa
Tang Ying Sowk (season 4–5)
|Country of origin||Malaysia|
|Original language(s)||Malaysia (TV9)|
English (Disney Channel Asia)
|No. of seasons||10|
|No. of episodes||228 (list of episodes)|
|Producer(s)||Haji Burhanuddin Md Radzi|
Hajjah Ainon Arifi
|Running time||5 minutes per episode (season 1–2)|
7 minutes per episode (season 3–5)
6-7 minutes per episode (season 6–present)
|Original network||TV9 (2007-)|
Disney Channel Asia (2011-)
4:3 (576i)16:9 (1080i)
|Audio format||Dolby Atmos|
|Original release||14 September 2007 (2007-09-14) – present|
Upin & Ipin is a 2007 Malaysian television series of animated shorts produced by Les' Copaque Production, which features the life and adventures of the eponymous twin brothers in a fictional Malaysian kampung. Originally a side project for the blockbuster animated film Geng: The Adventure Begins, Upin & Ipin was introduced on TV9 on 13 September 2007 as a six-episode Ramadan/Eid special, to teach children the significance of the Islamic holy month. As of 2014, the series has reached its eighth season, including another Ramadan speci season in 2008, and, season three onwards, the year-long, more general themed Upinipin and Friends, the series' international debut via the Disney Channel Asia, with more concentrating on telling the lives of The Twins with their friends on the normal days.
Upin and Ipin are five-year-old Malaysian twins who and their elder sister Ros and grandmother Uda (whom they call Opah) in a village house in Kampung Durian Runtuh. They have lost their parents in their infancy. Upin and Ipin study in the village's Tadika Mesra (kindergarten), where they with a group of classmates, including the adorable and right-thinking Mei Mei, a joker and poetic Jarjit Singh, the clumsy and short-tempered Ehsan, an easygoing and sarcastic Fizi (Ehsan's cousin), and an entrepreneurial and meticulous Mail.
The headman of Kampung Durian Runtuh is Isnin bin Khamis, better known as Tok Dalang Ranggi, the Wayang Kulit champion. Tok Dalang keeps a cluster of rambutan trees for commercial purposes, and a rooster named "Rembo". Among the village's other notable residents are Muthu, owner of the village's only food stall who lives with his animal whisperer son Rajoo and pet steer Sapy; Salleh (Sally), a transgender-apparent who owns a mobile library; and Ah Tong, a strident-voiced vegetable farmer. A new character was later added in the series who is an Indonesian girl named Susanti who moved in with her family.
Further information: List of Upin & Ipin episodes
|Season||Episodes||Originally aired in TV9|
|Season premiere||Season finale|
|1||6||14 September 2007 (2007-09-14)||13 October 2007 (2007-10-13)|
|2||12||5 September 2008 (2008-09-05)||6 October 2008 (2008-10-06)|
|3||42||2 February 2009 (2009-02-02)||30 December 2009 (2009-12-30)|
|4||42||15 March 2010 (2010-03-15)||29 December 2010 (2010-12-29)|
|5||42||12 March 2011 (2011-03-12)||31 December 2011 (2011-12-31)|
|6||42||18 March 2012 (2012-03-18)||30 December 2012 (2012-12-30)|
|7||42||9 March 2013 (2013-03-09)||28 December 2013 (2013-12-28)|
|8||42||28 February 2014 (2014-02-28)||25 December 2014 (2014-12-25)|
|9||42||4 April 2015 (2015-04-04)||1 January 2016 (2016-01-01)|
|10||42||9 April 2016 (2016-04-09)||31 December 2016 (2016-12-31)|
|11||42||25 March 2017 (2017-03-25)||30 December 2017 (2017-12-30)|
Season 1 (2007)
The first season of Upin & Ipin was aired on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays, 7.30 pm, in conjunction with Ramadan and Aidilfitri, which tells of the twins Upin and Ipin on their first fasting months. The first four shorts debuted early in the holy months, followed by repeats from 22 September to 11 October, finally ending with two final episodes premiering on Hari Raya itself. This series bore away the Best Animation award in the 2007 Kuala Lumpur International Film Festival.
- Ep 1 - Esok Puasa (Let's Fast Tomorrow)
- Ep 2 - Dugaan (The Test)
- Ep 3 - Nikmat (Satisfaction)
- Ep 4 - Terawih (Prayer)
- Ep 5 - Esok Raya (Tomorrow Raya)
- Ep 6 - Hari Raya (Raya)
Season 2 (2008)
The second series, under its full title Upin & Ipin: Setahun Kemudian, went on air in conjunction with Ramadan again, with 12 new episodes, the first six of which were aired and repeated on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays, 7.00 pm throughout Ramadan while the other six premiered for Hari Raya from 1 till 6 of Shawal. This season was sponsored by Colgate-Palmolive Malaysia via its Colgate Kayu Sugi toothpaste.
- Ep 7 - Tadika (Pre-School)
- Ep 8 - Anak Bulan (New Moon)
- Ep 9 - Adat (Traditions)
- Ep 10 - Tamak (Greed)
- Ep 11 - Lailatul Qadr
- Ep 12 - Kisah & Tauladan (Tales and Lessons)
- Ep 13 - Sayang Kak Ros (Love Kak Ros)
- Ep 14 - Ketupat
- Ep 15 - Zakat Fitrah (Raya Offering)
- Ep 16 - Malam Syahdu (Night Syahdu)
- Ep 17 - Pagi Raya (Raya Morning)
- Ep 18 - Berkat (Blessings)
Season 3 (2009)
Under the new full title Upin & Ipin dan Kawan-Kawan, a third season of the series premiered on TV9 on 2 February 2009, with each episode lasting up to seven minutes. As a year-long production season, it had frequent in-season breaks filled by repeats, and also experienced some schedule changes. From 14 May, the TV series received major sponsorship from TM, which placed its brand on the show to this date. In the year-end school break season, it became apparent that new episodes are strategically debuted on school holidays, with new episodes premiering on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays, 5.30 pm (repeats for the rest of the week) throughout the six-week holiday season. This is also the first season of Upin & Ipin for the international market, airing on Disney Channel Asia beginning 15 November 2009 with dubs in English (the official dub, as the credits and episode titles are in English as well), Mandarin and other languages.
- Ep 1 - Air Kolah, Air Laut (Between The Pool & The Seven Seas)
(May have served as a story setting episode for the Journey to Treasure Island story)
- Ep 2 - Basikal Baru (New Bikes)
- Ep 3 - Berkebun (Gardening)
- Ep 4 - Gosok Jangan Tak Gosok (Brush It)
- Ep 5 - Kisah Dua Malam (A Tale of Two Nights)
- Ep 6 - Kembara ke Pulau Harta Karun (The Journey to the Treasure Island)
Part 1 - 3 (aired as Ep 6)
Part 4 - 6 (aired after Ep 14)
Part 7 - 8 (aired after Ep 16 as Season finale for 2009; left as a cliff hanger; to be continued in Season 6)
- Ep 7 - Istimewa Hari Ibu (Mother's Day Special)
- Ep 8 - Kami 1Malaysia (We Are 1 Malaysia)
- Ep 9 - Seronoknya Membaca (Reading is Fun)
- Ep 10 - Berpuasa Bersama Kawan Baru (Fasting with New Friend)
- Ep 11 - Selamat Menyambut Lebaran (Happy Eid-ul-Fitr)
- Ep 12 - Upin, Ipin & Apin
- Ep 13 - Jejak Rembo (Rembo's Trail)
- Ep 14 - Diri Bersih Badan Sihat (Keep Clean, Stay Healthy)
- Ep 15 - Ambil Galah Tolong Tunjukkan (Guide Me)
- Ep 16 - Sapy, oh Sapy!
Season 4 (2010)
Season four of Upin & Ipin dan Kawan-kawan debuted on TV9 on 15 March 2010 with the episode "Juara Kampung (Part 1)", with a brand new opening sequence and color pencil and exercise book-themed title card. The main focus on this season is as a tribute to sports, as it was developed in a year full of sport events. Season 4 was co-sponsored by TM.
- Ep 1 - Juara Kampung (The Village Champion)
- Ep 2 - Anak Harimau (The Tiger Cubs)
- Ep 3 - Ramadhan Kembali Lagi (Ramadhan return)
- Ep 4 - Menjelang Syawal (Before Syawal)
- Ep 5 - Bila Besar Nanti (When I Grow Up)
- Ep 6 - Rasa Sayang (Feel Love)
- Ep 7 - Kisah Raja Pemburu (Tales of The Hunter King)
- Ep 8 - Kisah Pisang & Cengkerang (Tales of Bananas & Shells)
- Ep 9 - Kenangan Manis (Sweet Memories)
- Ep 10 - Lama Tapi Berharga (Old Is Gold)
- Ep 11 - Demi Metromillenium (For Metromillenium)
Season 5 (2011)
Season 5 debuted on TV9 on 12 March 2011 with the episode "Belajar Lagi". As with previous seasons it opens with a new sequence, now based on a papercraft theme. This season airs every Saturday night at 6:30pm.
- Ep 1 - Belajar Lagi..? (Study Again..?)
- Ep 2 - Terbang Tinggi-Tinggi (Fly Higher)
- Ep 3 - Tersentuh Hati (Heart Touching)
- Ep 4 - Ikhlas dari Hati (Sincerely From Our Heart)
- Ep 5 - Kuih untuk Opah (Cake For Opah)
- Ep 6 - Rindu Opah (We Miss You Opah)
- Ep 7 - Sakit Ke? (Does It Hurt?)
- Ep 8 - Garang ke Sayang? (Scare or Care?)
- Ep 9 - Sedia.... Mula! (Ready... Go!)
- Ep 10 - Gelapnya... (So Dark...)
- Ep 11 - Jari Jemari Salleh (Wedding Planner Sally)
- Ep 12 - Cerita Kami (Our Story)
- Ep 13 - Metrobot, Bergabung! (Metrobots, Combine!)
Season 6 (2012)
Season 6 aired every Sunday at 6pm on TV9.
- Ep 1 - Mainan Baru (New toys)
- Ep 2 - Tangkap Dia! (Catch It!)
- Ep 3 - Kembara ke Pulau Harta Karun (Journey to the Treasure Island)
Part 9 - 11 (end of story, continuation from a cliff hanger left in Season 3)
- Ep 4 - Kembara Kecil-Kecilan (Little Adventure)
- Ep 5 - Terima Kasih Cikgu! (Thank You Very Much, Teacher!)
- Ep 6 - Iqra'
- Ep 7 - Rasai Kemenangan (Feeling the Success)
- Ep 8 - Bulan Hantu (Ghost Night)
- Ep 9 - Hari Misteri (A Mysterious Day)
- Ep 10 - Raja Buah (King of Fruit)
- Ep 11 - Cari & Simpan (Find & Collect)
- Ep 12 - Kenangan Mengusik Jiwa (Heart Touching Memories)
- Ep 13 - Taman Mesra (A Friendly Garden)
- Ep 14 - Sedia Menyelamat (Ready For Action!)
Season 7 (2013)
Upin and Ipin will start their fun story with the Chinese New Year story featuring Chinese girl, Mei Mei (美美) as the seventh season's premier. The episodes air on Saturday evenings at 6:30pm. The first episode was scheduled to air on 2 March 2013, but due to technical problems the first episode have been pushed to 9 March 2013.
- Ep 1 - Gong Xi Fa Cai!
- Ep 2 - Gigi Susu (Baby Teeth)
- Ep 3 - Nenek Si Bongkok Tiga (The Old Hag)
- Ep 4 - Usahawan Muda (Little Businessman)
- Ep 5 - Sahabat Selamanya (Friends Forever) credited as Upin & Ipin 200
- Ep 6 - Dugaan Ramadhan (Challengers during Fasting)
- Ep 7 - Riang Raya (Raya is Fun)
- Ep 8 - Daun Hijau (Green Leaves)
- Ep 9 - Barang Silam (Antiques)
- Ep 10 - Bahaya Jerebu (Haze Dangers)
- Ep 11 - Pim Pim Pom
- Ep 12 - Kembara Kembar Nakal (The Twins' Mischievous Adventure)
- Ep 13 - Beli, Pakai, Suka (Buy, Wear, Love It)
- Ep 14 - Boria Suka-Suka (Fun Boria)
Season 8 (2014)
Season 8 started airing on 30 May 2014. The episodes air on the days when new episodes appear in three separate parts on a seven-minute slot at 5:30 pm during the school holidays. Starting from this season onwards it is produced in high-definition resolution where the HD versions of each episode in this season will appear on the DVD collection once it is released. TV9 airs the episodes in PAL format.
The character designs are also remodelled and improved to make them more lively. A new voice actress for Ros has been introduced.
- Ep 1 - Upin & Ipin Kesayanganku
- Ep 2 - Kail dan Laga
- Ep 3 - Belajar Sambil Main
- Ep 4 - Cuai, Cuai, Cuai
- Ep 5 - Pengalaman Puasa
- Ep 6 - Raya Yang Bermakna
- Ep 7 - Warna Warni
- Ep 8 - Jaga & Hargai Mata
- Ep 9 - Upin, Ipin dan Ultraman Ribut
- Ep 10 - Upin Ipin Angkasa
- Ep 11 - Hasil Tempatan
- Ep 12 - Perangi Rasuah
- Ep 13 - Terompah Opah
- Ep 14 - Pokok Seribu Guna
In 2014, TV9 announced a collaboration with Tsuburaya Productions, on which a crossover episode involving Ultraman was released on November 2014 
- Upin & Ipin DVD and VCD volumes 1-6 were distributed in Malaysia by Music Valley.
- Volume 7 - 11 were distributed by Sony Music.
- Volume 12 and above are distributed by Music Valley.
|Upin & Ipin Vol. 1||2007|
|Upin & Ipin: Setahun Kemudian Vol. 2||2008|
|Upin & Ipin: Setahun Kemudian Vol. 3||2008|
|Upin & Ipin dan Kawan-Kawan Vol. 4||2009|
|Upin & Ipin dan Kawan-Kawan Vol. 5||2009|
|Upin & Ipin dan Kawan-Kawan Vol. 6||2009|
|Upin & Ipin dan Kawan-Kawan Vol. 7||2010|
|Upin & Ipin dan Kawan-Kawan Vol. 8||2010|
|Upin & Ipin dan Kawan-Kawan Vol. 9||2010|
|Upin & Ipin dan Kawan-Kawan Vol. 10||2010|
|Upin & Ipin dan Kawan-Kawan Vol. 11||2010|
|Upin & Ipin dan Kawan-Kawan Vol. 12||2011|
|Upin & Ipin dan Kawan-Kawan Vol. 13||2011|
|Upin & Ipin dan Kawan-Kawan Vol. 14||2011|
|Upin & Ipin dan Kawan-Kawan Vol. 15||2012|
|Upin & Ipin dan Kawan-Kawan Vol. 16||2012|
|Upin & Ipin dan Kawan-Kawan Vol. 17||2012|
|Upin & Ipin dan Kawan-Kawan Vol. 18||2012|
|Upin & Ipin dan Kawan-Kawan Vol. 19||2012|
|Upin & Ipin dan Kawan-Kawan Vol. 20||2012|
|Upin & Ipin dan Kawan-Kawan Vol. 21||2012|
|Upin & Ipin dan Kawan-Kawan Vol. 22||2012|
|Upin & Ipin dan Kawan-Kawan Vol. 23||2012|
|Upin & Ipin dan Kawan-Kawan Vol. 24||2012|
|Upin & Ipin dan Kawan-Kawan Vol. 25||2013|
|Upin & Ipin Musim 6: Special Edition||2013|
|Upin & Ipin Musim 6: Vol. 26||2013|
|Upin & Ipin Musim 6: Vol. 27||2013|
|Upin & Ipin Musim 6: Vol. 28||2013|
|Upin & Ipin Musim 6: Vol. 29||2013|
|Upin & Ipin Musim 6: Vol. 30||2013|
|Upin & Ipin Musim 6: Vol. 31||2014|
|Upin & Ipin Musim 6: Special Edition with BOMBA||2014|
Since December 2009, Upin & Ipin have been adapted into a monthly comic magazine series, aptly titled Majalah Komik Upin & Ipin to be circulated all over Malaysia, published by Nyla Sdn Bhd. Targeted at young readers, the magazine features screenshot comics of the Upin & Ipin TV series and the Geng: Pengembaraan Bermula film, voice actor and production crew profiles, and learning and activity sections.
Reception and influence
The Upin & Ipin franchise has wielded its influence in countries of the Malay archipelago, notably in Malaysia and Indonesia which share linguistic and cultural similarities. Its first season landed its first award, for Best Animation in KLIFF 2007.
While season two was on air on Ramadan 2008, it was reportedly watched by 1.5 million viewers on TV9, making it the second most-watched animated series on all of Malaysian television, right behind Doraemon (1.6 mil), yet ahead of SpongeBob SquarePants (800,000). The popularity of Upin & Ipin could have attributed to the commercial success of Malaysia's first CGI-animated feature film, Geng: The Adventure Begins (2009), which featured the twin characters Upin and Ipin, propelling it into the RM 6.31 million mark throughout its seven-week run in Malaysian cinemas as one of the highest-grossing Malay-language films in history.
As the third season reaches its conclusion in late 2009, TV9 reports that Upin & Ipin was viewed by 1.6 million, making it the second most-viewed programme on the channel, just behind the free TV premiere of Geng which was watched by 2.45 million (scoring TVR 12.8).
Indonesia has been the most obvious export market for Upin & Ipin. In 2009, MNCTV which airs the series in the republic reported a TVR of 10.5. Upin & Ipin has also been praised by the Indonesian press; for instance, Fadil Abidin for Analisa who remarked on the vastness of moral content and Islamic values, such as respect for those of different ethnic or religious backgrounds, in a communal setting consisting not only of Malays, Chinese and Indian Malaysians, but also Indonesians.
In March 2010, as the Balinese Hindu community prepare for Nyepi, images of ogoh-ogoh (demonic effigies used for the famed ngrupuk ritual on the eve of Nyepi) which largely resemble Upin & Ipin were exposed on Indonesian media. The effigy reportedly cost 4 million rupiah.
- 2007 Kuala Lumpur International Filem Festival
- 2009 Shout! Awards
- NEF-Awani ICT Awards 2010
- NEF-Awani Tun Dr Mahathir Award
- The BrandLaureate Awards 2010
- Anugerah Bintang Popular Berita Harian 2012
- The Most Popular Local Animated Character
- UNICEF Malaysia's National Ambassadors 2013 
- ^Upin & Ipin, Les Copaque, 4 September 2007. Accessed 8 January 2010.
- ^Series Upin & Ipin Won in KLIFF 2007!!, Les Copaque, 30 November 2007. Accessed 8 January 2010.
- ^Upin & Ipin - Setahun Kemudian di TV9, Les Copaque, 31 August 2008. Accessed 8 January 2010.
- ^Upin & Ipin edisi Syawal tayangan hari raya, Les Copaque, 28 September 2008. Accessed 8 January 2010.
- ^promo:The launch of COLGATE Kayu Sugi Charity Campaign, Malaysia Celebrity News Online, 16 Okt 2008. Accessed 8 March 2010.
- ^Saksikan Upin & Ipin : Dan Kawan-Kawan , Les Copaque, 30 January 2009. Accessed 8 January 2010.
- ^Masa Siaran Baru Upin & Ipin di TV9, 11 May 2009. Accessed 8 January 2010.
- ^, 14 June 2010, Accessed 7 April 2011.
- ^ abcde"Rahsia Upin & Ipin Musim ke 8". Upin & Ipin Official Website. 9 June 2014. Retrieved 7 January 2015.
- ^Upin & Ipin: Majalah Komik Upin & Ipin dipasaran. Accessed 27 March 2010.
- ^ abBudiey Isma (3 December 2007). "Keputusan Pemenang KL International Film Festival KLIFF 07". Sensasi Selebriti. Retrieved 8 January 2010.
- ^Sy Mussaddad Mahdi (8 February 2009). "Apabila Upin dan Ipin masuk pawagam". Utusan Malaysia. Retrieved 16 March 2010.
- ^SYABAS LES' COPAQUE (.jpg poster), LCP Blog!, 24 December 2009. Accessed 16 March 2010.
- ^Rating Upin & Ipin di Indonesia, LCP Blog!, 2 September 2009. Accessed 16 March 2010. LCP once mistook the figure as 10.5 million viewers.
- ^Fadil Abidin. "Upin dan Ipin vs Acara Anak di Televisi Kita". Analisa. Retrieved 16 March 2010.
- ^Arry Anggadha (7 March 2010). "Upin dan Ipin Ramaikan Perayaan Nyepi". VIVAnews. Retrieved 16 March 2010.
- ^Shamala Velu (21 July 2009). "Shout to the top". The Star.
- ^"LICT important in NEM aspiration". Borneo Post Online. 25 March 2011. Retrieved 5 April 2011.
- ^The BrandLaureate Awards., BrandLaureate Awards, 6 April 2011.
- ^"Upin & Ipin are now Unicef Malaysia's ambassadors for children". The Star Malaysia. The Star Online.
Она взглянула на скоростное печатное устройство позади письменного стола шефа. В нем ничего не. - Сьюзан, - тихо сказал Стратмор, - с этим сначала будет трудно свыкнуться, но все же послушай меня хоть минутку. - Он прикусил губу.